This is very important.
We find that many times when we call up candidates for the first time, they are not very courteous. They sometimes yell with not much respect “WHO? WHAT DO YOU WANT?” etc.
Not very pleasant. Why does this happen?
1. You have applied for a few jobs.
2. After some days one of the recruiters calls you up. and you don’t have the number.
3. In casual fashion you start talking the way you usually do.
The problem here is that for many freshers don’t have good phone manners. The way to address this problem is to have great phone manners ALL THE TIME. not just when you are applying for jobs. not just when speaking to your recruiter or would-be-employer. All the time. That would take you a long way!
Some tips for great phone manners.
1. Be very respectful. They cannot see you. Only your words and tone can be heard.
2. Use polite language. Don’t ask “What do you want??” Do you think someone would call you and say forget to say why they called. It doesn’t happen with recruiters 🙂 So just say “yes?” or “Yes Please” Or something like “Yes. How can I help you?”
3. If possible, have the conversation in a quiet environment. Depending on your situation and the time of call, this may not be possible. However if the noise around you is too distracting, then offer to call back in 10 minutes or one hour or something similar – so that you can have a productive conversation.