Interview Tips for Freshers – Did you bring your enthusiasm with you ?
A nice interview lined up for you tomorrow? Congrats on landing your interview. This is the final stage of the job-hunting drama – hopefully it will be.
You are doing everything to do well in the interview – preparing for technical and subject-matter questions. Gettting your suit or tie ready. Getting your resumes printed, your academic certitificates in order. And so on. Good.
But there are a lot of intangibles in the job-interview process. A lot! In an interview the answers that you give the interviewer is the not the only thing they go by. They will look for a lot of subtle cues about your suitability for the job. One of the most important things the employer will look for is your enthusiasm. You need to show that you are a high-energy individual willing to work enthusiastically for your new employers.
How can you do this?
1. Have a confident body-posture. Sit comfortably but not too comfortable that it looks like you are relaxing.
2. When you are asked a question, look at the interviewer when you answer – don’t look somewhere in the distance while answering.
3. Practice having a firm hand-shake. This is important for male candidates.
4. Answer your questions confidently with a can-do attitude.
5. Many job-interviews allow time at the end for the interviewee – that is you – to ask some questions about the company or the job. If you are given an opportunity to ask questions, don’t say I have no questions. Ask at least one pertinent question about the job. Preferably it should be a question that demonstrates how well you understand the job. So be prepared with a few questions about the job and company in advance.
6. Try to look pleasant and smile whenever appropriate. Some people just forget to smile at job interviews 🙂 So smile – it’s good for your health and good for your job-interview.